Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tom Cruise : Conforts Controversies & Rumors In Playboy

Tom Cruise opens up in the June issue of Playboy, talking at length about past controversies, Scientology and Katie Holmes .

The actor, who’s about to turn 50, reflects on a long career in film that was nearly derailed several years ago by heightened media scrutiny, especially following bizarre TV appearances with Matt Lauer , Oprah and an explosion of tabloid attention concerning his religious beliefs and marriage.

Of the incessant gossip, Cruise says, "There’s what people say, and there’s reality, and you can’t worry about stuff like that. Do you wish they wouldn’t say certain things? Yeah, you wish."

He explains, "There comes a point when you just have to go, ‘You know what? Here’s how I’ve lived my life: I’ve never been late to set. I make films I believe in. I feel privileged to be able to do what I love.’ You just have to keep going and remember that."

"The other stuff? I hear it, I read it, I get it. But life is not a matter of trying to prove anything to anybody," says Cruise.

The star says he’s not afraid to battle false claims through legal means, especially when it comes to protecting his family.

"They know I mean it, that if I have to, I will sue," explains Cruise. "You start with a letter saying, ‘Okay, you know it’s not true. Apologize.’"

As for his wife, Cruise says of Holmes, "She’s funny and charming, and when she walks into the room, I just feel better. I’m a romantic. I like doing things like creating romantic dinners, and she enjoys that. I don’t know what to say—I’m just happy, and I have been since the moment I met her. What we have is very special."

Perhaps the biggest controversy around Cruise is his devotion to Scientology, which led the actor to criticize psychiatry during an infamous "Today Show" appearance with Lauer.

"What’s interesting is, if I don’t talk about my religion, if I say I’m not discussing it or different humanitarian things I’m working on, they’re like, ‘He’s avoiding it.’ If I do talk about it, it becomes, ‘Oh, he’s proselytizing.’"

Cruise explains, "I have respect for what other people believe. What I believe in my own life is that it’s a search for how I can do things better, whether it’s being a better man or a better father or finding ways for myself to improve. Individuals have to decide what is true and real for them."

No comments:

Post a Comment