Saturday, October 25, 2014

Oscar Pistorius was 'gun-toting', 'trigger-happy' and 'combustible' claims Reeva's mother

June Steenkamp says she was 'unmoved' by athlete's apology
Steenkamp's mother June arrives in court for the sentencing on Tuesday
Now, in an extract from June Steenkamp's book, ......

Reeva: A Mother's Story, published today in the Times Magazine, Mrs Steenkamp has described Pistorius, 27, as a "pathetic figure".

Writing about the athlete's public apology during the televised trial, she writes: "It was an extraordinary moment. You could cut the atmosphere in the courtroom with a knife: silence, but for the sound of journalists tapping on their screens. It put me in an awkward position.

"Why decide to say sorry to me in a televised trial in front of the whole world? I was unmoved by his apology. I felt if I appeared to be sorry for him at this stage of his trial on the charge of premeditated murder, it would in the eyes of others lessen the awfulness of what he had done.

"He was in the box trying to save his own skin after he had killed my daughter and I was sitting in that courtroom wanting to hear the factual truth, not to see emotions cloud the truth."
 
 
Reeva Steenkamp’s mother has claimed Oscar Pistorius would have killed someone 'sooner or later' had it not been her daughter.

June Steenkamp, 68, said the Paralympian, who was sentenced to five years in prison for culpable homicide, was "gun-toting", "trigger-happy", "jealous" and "combustible".


Ms Steenkamp told The Times her and her husband Barry, 71, are haunted by a recurring image of their daughter on the night she died, "the vision of Reeva suffering this terrible trauma".
 
 
In an extract from June Steenkamp's book, Reeva: A Mother's Story, published today in the Times Magazine, Mrs Steenkamp describes Pistorius as a "pathetic figure".

The extract focuses on the athlete's public apology during the televised trial.

"It was an extraordinary moment. You could cut the atmosphere in the courtroom with a knife: silence, but for the sound of journalists tapping on their screens. It put me in an awkward position," Ms Steenkamp wrote.

"Why decide to say sorry to me in a televised trial in front of the whole world? I was unmoved by his apology. I felt if I appeared to be sorry for him at this stage of his trial on the charge of premeditated murder, it would in the eyes of others lessen the awfulness of what he had done."

Pistorius, who the court heard has no income and no property after selling it during the trial, was driven away in a police van with barred windows after his sentencing on Tuesday. The 27-year-old was also given a suspended three-year term for a firearms offence.

He is expected to be held in the hospital section of a prison in Pretoria.

Mrs. Steenkamp's book is to be published on 6 November.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Witchy and Genie ,
    I been out of town on a work detail , I'm in construction , was working in a small town in Texas , about 50 miles from Shreveport I was gone 3 weeks , I didn't miss a post on Maxy on Oscar Pistorius . Kathy (my wife) copied and emailed them to me . I wasn't surprise to see they just slapped on his wrist . I heard on the news he cried his first night in prison .
    You ladies have great insight for the news and I like the way you follow through .

    I am so happy you put when Mrs. Steenkamp's book was going on sale . I told Kathy to go to Borders and Barnes & Noble to put our names on the list , get in there early because as you know those books will fly off the shelves like hot cakes .
    I enjoyed reading Poppa new jig , the roving reporter . Kathy made the chili on Wandering Brook and let me say ,oh la, la . so good .
    My people were waiting for me to get back so they could ask Maxy for advice . I told them to put their questions on the top post .
    We finished the job so I am back .
    Ardis Whittin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Ardis,
    I hope the job went well. We have missed you. The trial went the way we expected . We don't believe justice was served and seventy-three % of people surveyed agree. Reeva deserved better.
    The Steencamps are broke and have been relying on money from Oscar PIstorius every month. I wish they had not done that. It was blood money, the way I see it. The proceeds from the book should make them independent again.
    That chili is awesome and so appreciated up here in Canada in the cold weather, it warms you from the inside out.
    We are proud of our roving reporter and we never know what he will come up with next. Maxy is eager to help your friends. Tell them to bring it on.
    Thank you for your support,
    Witchy and Genie

    ReplyDelete