Friday, September 16, 2011

Brad Pitt In Parade Magazine : Religion "Didn't Work For Me"

Brad Pitt's Parade  magazine interview has already generated controversy , and his comments about faith and moving away from religion are sure to be talking points, too.

"I grew up Baptist , and then the family switched over to more of an evangelical  movement , probably right around the time I was in late high school ," says the actor.

But he didn't make the transition with them .

"There's a point where you're un-tethered from the beliefs of your childhood ," explains Pitt . "That point came to me when it was finally clear my religion didn't work for me . I had questions about Christianty that I could not get answers to my satisfaction , questions that I'd been asking since I was in kindergarten.

Pitt adds , "I realized it didn't feel right to me , that one question just led to another . It was like going down a rabbit hole , each answer provoking another question."

One of the wedges between Pitt and religion is the topic of gay marriage.

"What are you so afraid of  ? That's my question . Gay people getting married ? What is so scary about that ? He asks.

You grow up in a religion like that and you try to pray the gay away . "I feel sadness for people like that ," says Pitt . "This is where people start short-circuiting ... instead of being brave and questioning their beliefs , they are afraid  and feel that they have to defend them ."

The star says while he and his family have different beliefs , there's not a gulf between them .

"My family is all devout Christians . Yes , absolutely ," says Pitt . "We don't see eye to eye on this one , yet at the end of the day we love each other , we're still family."

Pitt clarifies that his beef with religion has to do with his view that it gives some people control other others.

"I don't mind a world with religion  in it .There are some beautiful tenets within all religions . What I get hot about is when they start dictating how others must live . People suffer because of it . They are spreading misery."

What do think of Pitt's opinion ?

No comments:

Post a Comment