Saturday, May 28, 2011

Queen Latifah : A Sense of 'Renewed Vigor'

Queen Latifah has more launches than Apple.

There's her HSN clothing and lifestyle line , called the Queen Collection , on sale in August .

Her hair extentions , also in partnership with HSN and available this fall.

A live album she's recording now and is hoping  to release later this year .

'Joyful Noise,'  an uplifting flick co-starring Dolly Parton and scheduled for release in January 2012 .

Her CoverGirl ad campaign . And a new series on VH1 called "Single Ladies," premiering Monday (8 p.m), she's producing through her company , 'Flavor Unit Entertainment.'  Not bad fot a woman who had planned to quit working last year.

Latifah ... who earned an Oscar nomination for 2002's star-studded musical "chicago" ... isn't shy about her ambition or the fact that she views herself as a brand .Queen Latifah is still known as Dana Owens  in East Orange , N.J.

Her appeal , Compere ( her business partner) says  , is approachability . The average person can relate to her . The average person will see Dana walking in East Orange without her bodyguards , she doesn't put on any airs.

Work aside , Latifah says, she does see herself slowing down at some point . Could she ever picture herself living on a farm surrounded by a gaggle of kids?

"A farm . A yacht . An island ," Latifah says , " I'm kind of raised in Virigina and Maryland , so farming is in my blood . Fresh produce in the spring. And yes , bambinos are in the future , but she can't or won't say when .

"I won't be the first person who's had a career and had a family . When that happens , it will happen organically , and my business will have to adjuct to my personal life . I'm not going to stop my life for business . My life , my family , my friends ... those things are much more important than business.

Hear , hear ...

No comments:

Post a Comment