Saturday, August 16, 2014

March 2011 : Time Interviewed Robin Williams ---10 Questions

Is being funny sometimes  hindrance to social interaction ?
People  expect you  to be  wacky . They want  to take a picture  with their  family  and they say "Smile" and  you say "I am smiling." They expect you to be  on and crazy . No . I do  that sometimes  onstage  and  other times ... no . Other times  people  will come up  and tell you some nasty  joke and  go , "Use it." Really ? That's a great place   for your  grandmother  to keep her teeth . What ?  I can't  use that  joke . The  great thing  about walking around  New  York , especially  looking like  Saddam Hussein's  stunt  double  , is  people  don't  make  a lot of  eye  contact .

How  about  with family ?
Years  ago , I was reading  a story to my daughter  and I was doing  voices  and  everything  and she turned  to me  and said , "Just read  the  story . And stick to  the  main points."

There's  a pervasive  theory that when  you're  doing  serious  roles ---
I grow  a beard .

Exactly . And then you are  clean shaven  for the comedies .
No . It's not  true . Sometimes  the bread works  , sometimes  it  doesn't . It  depends  . I can grow  this bread in whatever  time it takes  to leave  here  and walk  down the  street .

We  see a lot of celebrities  with substance-abuse  issues . Why ?
I think celebrity itself  is a drug . There's that whole thing  ... it  comes  and  goes . Now  with  tweeting  and  Facebook , it's like  cyber-crack . Withdrawal from celebrity  is an interesting  thing . You see people  going , "I'm not  as famous  . Oh man , what am I gonna do ?  "Steal  some  jewelry , Lindsey . That  helps."

Is  addiction the price  of  fame , or is it the  price of talent ?
It's the price  of  drugs  actually . Most ot the time  with drugs , if you're  famous  , they give them to you . It's good  for  business  to say they  get you high .

Is it  harder  to be  funnier  when  you are older ?
[In an old-man voice] You ... try ... to ...stay ... funny . [In announcer  voice] "Ladies  and  gentlemen , tonight  we're  going to talk about ...shit ... oh , memory." Actually , Mort Sahl is amazing  funny  and still has  everything  going  on all cylinders . And being with  Jonathan Winters  is still pretty wonderful .[Winters  died in 2013]. You see these  guys  like  Mort  or  Rickles  ... that's what keep them going  , that's  their  survival . They still have  it . They're still funny . That's what keeps  them alive .

Billy Crystal  has  said  that standup is  how  comedians  process things  that are  painful .
I was thinking the other  day about  Tourette's  syndrome , where  you say whatever  is in your  subconscious  . Why is it  always dark things  ?  Is there  a nice side  to your  subconscious  ? "I really like  you . I just want to pet you . In a nice way ." Why can't we  look for the  positive  id ? The id is always .
Glaargarg ... you  wanna  do thaaat ." But  we  won't get into  that .  We'd  have to reboot .

You are unique  among  comedians  in that you haven't  written a book .
Nope . I hope  not  to.

You  hope not  to ?
Especially autobiography . I just don't have the  discipline  to do it . The learning  somewhat . But I don't have  the  discipline  to really sit  down  and write  a book . Maybe  we'll cut  to five years  from now  ... "I'm here  with my new  book  . So That's the way  you like it," But I don't think so .
Thanx to ---Belinda  Luscombe

No comments:

Post a Comment