Monday, July 2, 2012

Anderson Cooper : "The Fact Is , I'm Gay"

Anderson Cooper has officially come out as a gay man.

The CNN anchor and talk show host discusses his decision in a letter to political blogger and friend Andrew Sullivan, published on Monday.

He writes, "I’ve always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly. As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn’t matter."

While Cooper still believes his private life is just that, he acknowledges that by "remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something."

He makes it clear that that is simply not the case.

"The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," says Cooper.

The CNN host emphasizes that his role as a journalist supersedes his public discussion of his sexuality.

He explains, "Since my early days as a reporter, I have worked hard to accurately and fairly portray gay and lesbian people in the media – and to fairly and accurately portray those who for whatever reason disapprove of them."

Cooper continues, "It is not part of my job to push an agenda, but rather to be relentlessly honest in everything I see, say and do. I’ve never wanted to be any kind of reporter other than a good one, and I do not desire to promote any cause other than the truth."

Here's Cooper’s entire note to Sullivan .

Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.


Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for The Daily Beast,com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.


Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.


"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.


"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."


"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."
Congrats to Anderson Cooper for his coming out , now it will be difficult to keep the gays away . HeHe

2 comments:

  1. Anderson makes some very logical points. But, being that he is a public figure ,people will speculate and gossip and what they come up with is usually far worse than the truth. So Anderson should have done this much sooner just to shut everyone up.
    I congratulate him on his choices, his success and his pride.

    The Genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... Anderson has my respect and support .

    ReplyDelete