Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lindsay Lohan : Bad Behavior , Apology , Repeat 'OMG'


      Lindsay Lohan is on a path of righteousness . Again. Or so she says. In tge latest issue of Vanity Fair , the troubled pop princess repents with mea culpas, denials and cries of "It's not my fault, and it's Dad's" about her erratic behavior , DUI arrests, reported alcohol and drug addictions and rehab/jail stinks. And she whines a lot.
    "I want my career about," Lilo tells VF. "I want the respect that I had when I was doing great movies. And if that takes not going out to a night club at night, then so be it. It's not funanyway."
     Hmmm. Sounds familiar, doesn't it ? That's because we've heard it all before, usually just ahead  of another  of the starlet's perpetual falls from grace. That was the case in 2008 when she told VF, "I'm a different person now." We all know what happen after that wopper.
     What Lilo says is true - she is a "damn good actress," especially when it comes to the cycle of downward spiral followed by redemption followed  by downward spiral.
      Bad behavior , apology, then repeat .
      Let's travel back in time to the summer of 2007. Fresh  out of rehab , Lilo was arrested again that July on DUI  and cocaine possession charges after a bizarre car chase. A month later, Lilo issued a long  and seemingly heartfelt apology to TMZ after pleading guilty to seven (7) misdeameanors.
     "It is clear to me my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs," the star wrote. "Recently, I relapsed  and did things for which I am ashamed . I broke the law, and today I took responsibility by pleading  guilty to the charges in my case. No matter what I said when I was under the influence on the day I was arrested, I'm not blaming anyone else for my conduct other than myself."
     Lilo went on to vow to get "healthy" and "gain control of my life and career" and said she sought medical help to get her back on track. That fall the actress spent 84 minutes in jail before her release. But that wasn't the end of it.
     Within months, she'd had her probation extended because she  repeatedly failed to show up for her required substance abuse classes. And her cycle of going to clubs, getting drunk and driving under the influence continued.
     In the September VF, which is out this  Friday, Lilo admits she's been a bit of of a train wreck at times. But she denies abusing  prescription drugs, denies being an alcoholic , blames her struggles on her father Michael and brushes off her entire collection of crazy antics as ordinary  old growing pains.
     "I know that in the past I was young and irresponsible - but that's what growing up is," she says. "You learn from your mistakes."
       Do you Lindsay ? Really ?
      University of Pennsylvanna psychiastrist Christos Ballas tells PopEater that in fact, Lilo doesn't learn from her mistakes at all. Instead, she keeps making the same ones over and over again in a classic narcissist  behavior pattern   repetition  compulsion.
     "You'll repeat certain behaviors even if they'll hurt you - drinking or drugs or going out with the same type of person," Ballas explains. "Even if these things get you into trouble ... you're trying to make it right. You actually think it's going to work through its issue using the only pattern it knows.
     Lilo is kidding herself into thinking that what she perceives as little successes - like getting out of the jail or rehab  - means she's making progess , Ballas says.
     "You get mini thrills rather than one big thrill," says Ballas, "You're think, hey, I'm doing okay.  You're so traped in your own narcissism  that you see getting out of jail as a success. Your perception is very skewed."
      Do you think Lindsay  deserves a little break, since she's a celebrity with an even bigger narcissist for a father ? Lindsay is under scrutiny that even if she makes a left turn the wrong way, people are going to say she's drunk. She's been typecast as a drunken Hollywood starlet. The prejudice is such that now she'll never be able to shake it....come on now folks ,Lilo needs some good advisors that would  take her in hand and look after her interests, and get away from her greedy , money hungry parents.

1 comment:

  1. Very good article. Lots of insight.LiLo may straighten out someday and be a better person for all her experience.

    ReplyDelete