Saturday, September 18, 2010

Parole Board Refuses Chapman's Plea

Who killed John Lennon? Mark David Chapman was the man who killed John Lennon and in his confession he said that a small part of him must have been the Devil when he went to the Dakota and asked the former Beatle front man for his signature. He wanted to leave then but  felt compelled to wait again for John Lennon’s return and when Lennon came along he walked up to him and shot him.

  Mark Chapman is still  in his cell in Attica Correctional Institution in Buffalo New York. Despite his exemplary disciplinary record, he has not been released. He is in solitary confinement for his own protection, because he would likely be ganged up on by inmates who were fans of the star. He must ponder what  happened twenty-five years ago. His lawyers were adamant that he would be found not guilty by reason of insanity thus committing him to a mental asylum but he was found lucid and proven guilty.
Chapman was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison after firing five shots outside the apartment building on Dec. 8, 1980, hitting Lennon four times in front of his wife, Yoko Ono, and others. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Chapman could recall at his parole board hearing this month that he had considered shooting Johnny Carson or Elizabeth Taylor instead, but he couldn't remember that he had also considered targeting Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and others.  The Sept. 7 interview at Attica prison ( transcripts of which were released Thursday )   was 55-year-old Mark David Chapman's sixth appearance before parole officials since he became eligible for release in 2000.
In rare media interviews, Chapman has listed Onassis among potential targets but said in the parole interview he could recall only Carson and Taylor.
"I was going through that in my mind the other day; I knew you would probably ask that," he told the panel via videoconference. "... I 've lost  memory of perhaps the other two."

As he has said in the past, he told officials he chose Lennon because the ex-Beatle was more accessible.
"I had a list of people and he was at the top of the list, and he seemed more accessible to me," he said when asked why he chose Lennon. He said Lennon's Manhattan apartment building "wasn't quite as cloistered" as spots where he could find the others.
"It wasn't about them, necessarily, it was just about me," Chapman told the parole board. "It was all about me at the time."
He continued: "If it wasn't Lennon, it could have been someone else."
According to an interview printed in People magazine in 1987, other potential targets included Lennon's former bandmate Paul McCartney, actor George C. Scott, then-Hawaii Gov. George Ariyosha and then-President Ronald Reagan.

He said that his motivation was instant notoriety but that he now realizes he "made a horrible decision to end another human being's life for reasons of selfishness."
"I felt that by killing John Lennon I would become somebody and instead of that I became a murderer and murderers are not somebodies," he told the parole board. Chapman also told the board he is in good health and works as a porter and a law library clerk. After the interview, the board was quick and unanimous in their refusal.

It sure is nice to hear that Mark is in good health. I hope he stays healthy for a long time and I hope he is refused parole every time he goes in front of that panel. He is where he belongs. If by some chance he is released it would probably be his death sentence, as many people have vowed to kill him if he is ever set free. Justice comes in many guises but at the end of the day, it is usually served.


Chapman as he is today

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pic, how's your weekend going?
    I am pulling out flowers and prepping for winter,and gettting pretty muddy. Brian is doing some painting. Nana is sorting through a thousand or more family photos and trying to organize them.So we are all busy today.The next few weeks are very busy for us trying to batten down the hatches for winter. I hope your gang of kids is doing great and Dad and the ladies got home safe. A day without drama would be a nice change at your house. See ya....LUV PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi cutie...Just getting in and got everyone settle down they are all knocked out even Dad.
    I don't envy you for all the work you have to do I bet you are so cute all muddy...I hope Brian asked Nana's advice before buying the paint or he may have to send her to her room.[giggles]
    Did you get the boat put away for the winter yet ???
    A day without drama is so nice but we had to leave home after Dad got here and we just got in around 4:PM my time and my babies are asleep and the menfolks are out in the garden talking with Chris/JON and Sis went home to check on things.
    It's something brewing and it is not good, I'm dying to find out and I will ..I will get with NAN and see what she's heard.

    I sent you an E-MAIL about 5:PM my time and I will see you tomorrow at FTBB tomorrow...HUGS...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Chapman rots in jail, they should have put the needle to him instead of having the taxpayers take care of him for life.
    The taxpayers could donate it to medical science or the endangered species it would be of greater value to the world.

    ReplyDelete