Friday, July 2, 2010

Dennis Hopper : Vanity Fair Publishes Dennis's Final Interview

Mere months before his May 29 death from cancer, Dennis Hopper,74, gave what would be his last interview, an art-centric conversation with 'Vanity Fair'. Though he introduced himself with a mild "I'm sorry, I'm not feeling well," the termimnally ill actor soon dove into depth with the magazine, discussing his upcoming exhibit at 'Los Angeles's Museum of Contemporary Art.'
The article includes a striking full-page photo (above ) of a ghastly thin Hopper with his four (4) children at his side.
The interview gives a glimpse into Hopper's final days, laden with both retrospect and currency, even in the center of the 'Easy Rider' star and director's flagging health and legal dramra with his fifth (5) wife.  Hear what Hopper had to say about his messy divorce from Victoria Duffy, his finest achievements and his pride surrounding the first Los Angeles exhibition showcasing his life's art and photography.
During writer Bob Colacello's walk through Hopper's home , the actor's art collection was slightly askew. This forced Hopper's first of two brief allusions to the tumultuous divorce from Fifth wife, Victoria , who was still living on Hopper's property : Hopper said ,We've been rearranging."
The second mention of the untimely split, which Hopper filed in January:"Who would have ever thought I'd be getting a divorce in this state ? It was a big shock."
On the upcoming art exhibit:"I was around when MOCA first started. But I never thought I'd end up there. I mean, to at last have a show in Los Angeles."

Greatest acting achievement ? "I think 'Blue velvet,' probably. But I've been in such incredible movies. I think at one point I'd been in five (5) most expensive movies ever made - not that I had large parts in them. 'Apocalypse Now' was one.'
Greatest achievement in cinema overall ? 'Easy Rider.' "Easy Rider and the 'Last Movie' were the only films that I made totally on my own."
On not going to college:People sit around the Riviera Country Club and say, 'What school did you go to ? And I say, 'Warner Bros.' It's true. I signed a contract when I was 18.
Did he consider himself an actor or director or artist or ...?"I made my living as an actor, and I love acting, so I'm an actor. But that gets you in a lot of trouble in the art world. I tell you who's got it : Viggo Mortensen. He's a writer. He's a good photographer. He paints and he makes music.
My spin: Audiences will be enjoying Dennis Hopper's movies and art-work for years to come...you can read the entire feature in this month's issue...VANITY FAIR... on sale now at your nearest newstand....RIP Dennis...you will be remembered for your works, the good and the bad...let's hope the good out-weighs the bad.
Kicking back keeping it real and having fun.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Denns. What a sad end for him.Instead of being supportive in his final days, his family squabbled over dividing up his estate and the poor guy wasn't dead yet. I never cease to be amazed at human behavior.

    See you at FTBB....PIC

    ReplyDelete